Built in 1957, St Cuthbert’s is one of the oldest Secondary Schools in St Helens, and was the first Catholic Secondary Modern to be built since the war. The distinctive main elevation of the school appears largely as it did nearly sixty years ago, but over-all the school’s buildings have increased over the last half century to accommodate increased pupil numbers and more facilities.
Last year, Twinfix were approached by BPL Construction to design, supply and install an enclosed free-standing mono-pitch canopy at the school, which would provide additional space for dining, a popular choice for schools looking for a cost-effective alternative to traditional extensions, allowing them to utilise their outdoor areas and provide additional covered space.
The canopy covering a total of 129 square metres, manufactured from rust-resistant aluminium and powder coated to RAL 9004 signal black comprises of our innovative Multi-Link-Panel NF roof-glazing system, glazed with 25mm opal polycarbonate. Coloured vinyls were attached to some of the side panels to brighten up the structure and tie in with school branding.
Mrs Twist, Head Teacher at the school commented: “We are extremely impressed with the quality and design of the canopy. The onsite team have worked in close proximity to our students and have taken full account of their health and safety.”
The addition of the side glazing and doors add extra protection from the elements, making it a usable space throughout the year and a secure area for storage of equipment.