The Royal Albert Edward Infirmary is a redeveloped modern District General Hospital with 513 beds providing a base for emergency and acute work, which is situated close to Wigan Town Centre.
The building, which was designed by Thomas Worthington and Joseph Hanson, was opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales in 1873. A major extension, in the same architectural style as the original building, was completed in 2004 and there have been a number of additional extensions to the site over the last few decades as it aims to keep up with increasing patient numbers.
Last year, as part of a planned refit of the store buildings at the hospital, Twinfix were approached by Principal Contractor W. Monks (Longridge) Ltd to design, manufacture and install a 49 sqm canopy.
A Free-Standing Mono Pitch Canopy was agreed upon, where the design included squared posts, and the roof comprises of Twinfix Multi-Link-Panel Non-Fragile (NF) system powder coated to RAL 7012 – basalt grey and glazed with 16mm multiwall polycarbonate.
As well as being sustainable and recyclable, the canopy is high quality and safe – designated as non-fragile in accordance with HSE’s drop test ACR[M]001:2019, this canopy is made from hard-wearing, long-life products aluminium and polycarbonate, which resist the damage of exposure to the British weather.