Specification & BIM
Twinfix’s work in the specification market is long standing. Over the years our products have been specified across numerous sectors including rail, retail, education, health and many more.
One of the main reasons our products are popular for specification is that we are experts in what we do. Most of our products hold RIBA NBS Specification status and we have also in 2016 completed our BIM objects. Please call us if you need help with any of our BIM Objects or NBS.
What is BIM?
BIM stands for Building Information Modelling and is a process of generating intelligent 3D models that contain relevant proprietary data of the object. The models are stored in an accessible environment and once downloaded can be easily manipulated to suit specific projects.
How can BIM help you?
BIM gathers all of the information about each component of a building, making the data accessible to anyone for any purpose. Using information in this way can minimize the risk of mistakes and in turn reduce costs.
BIM data can be used in many ways, including highlighting a building’s life-cycle, from concept and design to demolition and the re-use of materials.
Showing how spaces, systems, products and sequences relate to each other and the project as a whole can help to prevent errors.
What objects do we have?
Twinfix currently has 13 canopy objects and 5 roof system objects. The canopies range from a simple mono pitch lean to up to more complex freestanding canopies with curved and duo pitched roofs. The roof systems range from 6mm solid polycarbonate to 32mm multiwall polycarbonate.
How to find our objects
Our models are available in IFC and Revit formats and are currently hosted on the NBS National BIM Library website and can easily be downloaded after registering. They are also available for download right here on the Twinfix website.
Why specify us?
As the first company in the UK to develop glazing bars for installing polycarbonate we know the right system for the right application when installing either solid or multiwall polycarbonate. We have in-depth knowledge of these building materials and relevant legislation and can provide specifiers with the correct answers on materials and systems for their projects.
One of the major reasons that people specify our products is due to our knowledge and experience in non-fragile roofing.
The CDM regulations require that all possible risks should be designed out. Falls from height are one of the major causes of injury and death in the construction industry and specifying non-fragile rooflights is an obvious way of helping to prevent such accidents.
However, there can be a misunderstanding on non-fragility. The misconception is that polycarbonate is strong so it will not break (which is basically true) but if multiwall or solid polycarbonate is not fixed into a glazing bar system it will simply pop out of the bars when put under pressure and in these circumstances the roof glazing will always be classified as fragile. The test for non-fragility is the ACR[M]001:2014. This is a drop test on the total assembly that will be installed as a rooflight, not just on the polycarbonate glazing. Our roof system (Multi-Link-Panel NF) passes this test and full test certificates are available on request.
As one of the few UK canopy company who are members of NARM (National Association of Rooflight Manufacturers) we have a great deal of experience on this topic. (See our Non-Fragile page for more information.)
All of our specification documents are available for downloading on this page. Please also see our technical drawings for standard details.
Outlined below are some key points to consider when specifying a Twinfix canopy or walkway.
What do you get from us?
- Full in-house CAD design service so you know that your canopy will be designed to suit the needs of your project.
- A one-stop solution; all design, manufacture and installation is handled by us so you only need to deal with one company.
- For the aluminium structure you can select from a wide range of colours to complement your building.
- Pick from various tints and types of polycarbonate roof glazing to provide the right level of shading to suit your area.
More about our structures
- You can pick from a wide range of shapes, from simple lean-to canopies to complicated bespoke designs. We will be happy to advise you on the various options suitable for your area.
- All our metalwork is polyester powder coated aluminium, which is rust-resistant, won’t require future repainting and requires minimal maintenance.
- We fit incredibly tough polycarbonate roof glazing which is available in various tints to offer different levels of shading depending on how much sun the area gets. Polycarbonate prevents the transmission of UV in daylight, so is the ideal material for the roof of a school cover.
- The Multi-Link roof panels that we fit to all our pitched roof designs are pre-assembled in our warehouse meaning the installation time at any school/building is very quick as these panels have a patented fixing system that results in quick fitting. This quick to install system has a particular benefit in the rail sector where fast installation at night is very important.
- In order to ensure that site installation goes as smoothly, and quickly, as possible we carry out a dry-run assembly of each structure in our factory before it is powder coated.
- Our Multi–Link glazing systems are designed with safety in mind and pass the most up to date roofing tests
- As a company we hold CHAS and Constructionline accreditations. In order to achieve these, we have to prove on an annual basis that we work to high Health and Safety standards, both within our own premises and when out on site, installing canopies and walkways.
- All our installation staff are fully DBS checked for your peace of mind.
- We have an in-house design team who ensure all our structures are designed with safety in mind.
- Twinfix Safe Rooflight Non-Fragile Multi-Link Panels conform to the HSE recommended test method ACR[M]001:2014 (as outlined in document HSG33) and achieve a ‘B’ Classification.
- We can provide structural calculations (Wind load Calculations - BS6399-2. Analysis - BS8118)
- Both the polycarbonate and the aluminium used in any Twinfix canopy structure can be recycled.
Help & Advice
If you have a project in mind or would like help or advice on any of our products or services, please either ring us on 01925 811311, email us at email@example.com or get in touch via the enquiry form on our Contact Us page.