Last week’s Tangent Rail event was a rewarding experience for us and we are delighted to have been involved.
We have a huge passion for our work in rail so it was good to be able to showcase this at the event.
Below is a link to our interview with Catherine from Tangent followed by another link to the recording of our very own Vicky Evans talking all things rail with Network Rail‘s Ingrid Norman MCIPS AMICE.
Live event recording: https://globalmeet.webcasts.com/viewer/event.jsp?ei=1387283&tp_key=e3eb73b3f3
Our next event is on 16th March and we hope to see you there.
Twinfix are delighted to have joined Women in Rail, an organisation created to improve diversity in the UK rail industry.
Joint Managing Director, Vicky Evans commented, ” I am really happy and excited to join Women in Rail, it sounds like an exciting forum to exchange best practice and it fits in with our work in the rail sector.”
We look forward to hearing from fellow members and supporting this mission.
Before the next instalment of Tangent Rail’s SPOTLIGHT Midlands: Supplier Engagement in the Region event, Tangent sat down with our joint director Vicky Evans, to learn more about Twinfix and the success it has had over the past 30 years. You can read the full article here:
Twinfix Innovating Rail for ‘Future Generations’ – Tangent Rail
We recently revisited Kilmarnock station to take some photos of this shining example of our Multi-Link-Panel NF system glazed with 6mm thick solid polycarbonate. Below is our project case study together with the new photos.
New Roof Glazing for Kilmarnock Station
Travel 170 miles south of Aberdeen and you arrive at Kilmarnock station, East Ayrshire. This station opened in 1846 and is a ‘Category B’ listed building, which has 4 platforms and 0.6 million passengers travelled through it last year.
Following the successful re-glaze at Aberdeen and Stirling stations, Network Rail approached Twinfix to carry out the refurbishment of the canopy glazing at Kilmarnock station. Platforms 1, 2 and 3 were covered by a partly glazed roof, where many of the glass panels were stained, in poor condition, detracting from the canopies and station environment.
Twinfix replaced a total of 1829 square meters of glazing panels with the Multi-Link-Panel NF system. The canopies were originally glazed with Georgian wired glass, but 6mm clear solid polycarbonate was specified for the new system, maximizing the amount of natural daylight in the station and drawing attention to the decorative features found on the column arches and truss ends. Twinfix also installed a total of 59 access hatches across the canopies.
The successful roof re-glazing has provided Aberdeen and Kilmarnock stations with non-fragile, virtually unbreakable and attractive roofs that have restored these stations to their former glory and Twinfix, Story Contracting and Covanburn Contracts can be extremely proud of the refurbished premises.
Objectives of position
To provide Twinfix Limited with the support and expertise needed to deliver the project planning activities in a timely and efficient manner to meet customer and business demands.
Scope of position
Managing construction based projects and associated activities from sale through to installation/delivery
- Individual project ownership for construction projects
- Maintaining all project actions and ensuring timely progression of all projects
- Communicating verbally and in writing with customers / construction sites – assessing sites to ensure readiness for install in line with programme. This will involve reviewing site conditions for initial site survey and as the projects progress confirming readiness for install. Talking to site managers regularly to understand their site programmes and where our install falls in the critical path of the overall project
- Attending site to carry out any necessary site meetings
- Support Project Office Manager with transport coordination activities for the business
- Input into installation schedules – ensure an understanding of resource available to achieve customer and business requirements
- When appropriate coordinate with the necessary suppliers and the procurement coordinator for project based materials / equipment. Cover any procurement related tasks during holiday times
- As appropriate arranging and coordinating with subcontractors for installation and groundwork
- Issuing all relevant project paperwork to clients and subcontractors plus housekeeping of all project paperwork when returned from site
- Work with the manufacturing coordinator regarding production schedules in line with programme
- Liaising with our design and technical team for drawings and technical paperwork
- Liaising with sales to extract project information and coordinating pricing variations
- Reviewing project order paperwork to ensure agreement to terms
- As necessary support project office admin and procurement coordinator to create and book in purchase orders using Sage
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Access
- Basic CAD viewing
- Construction industry experience
- Basic contracts experience
- Good organisation skills
- Good communication skills – both written and verbal
- Working within a close knit family business that has been in operation for 30 years
- 24 days holiday plus all statutory bank holidays. An amount of holiday allowance must be saved for Christmas shutdown – normally 4 days
- Staff pension scheme with Peoples Pension in line with auto enrolment rules
- Medicash staff health care plan (qualifying after 3 months employment)
- Staff death in service life insurance plan (qualifying after 3 months employment)
- 3 paid days sick which roll over year on year if not used
This job description is not an exhaustive list of tasks. Additional activities will be required above and beyond those listed to carry out the role. Changes to the role will occur as the needs of the business change.
Application deadline: 14/02/2021
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £21,000.00-£25,000.00 per year
Experience: Construction related: 1 year (Preferred)