Over the years we have supplied modular polycarbonate panels for use as rooflights in many railway stations and depots. The polycarbonate used to glaze these panels can either look like the original Georgian wired glass or appear as clear as plate glass, depending on the grade of polycarbonate glazing specified.
Twinfix are RISQS approved to undertake the design, manufacture & installation of specialist roofing systems.
Multi-Link-Panel NF Rooflights
The chosen product for rail and depot rooflights is the Multi-Link-Panel NF (Non-Fragile). The Multi-Link-Panel is an innovative polycarbonate glazing product that, due to its fix and link method of installation, is incredibly quick to fit, making it an excellent choice for installation in stations where possession times are an issue.
It is manufactured with an aluminium frame that can be powder coated to any RAL or BS colour, fitted with multiwall or solid polycarbonate glazing. This is an ideal glazing medium as it is very tough, yet flexible, and will absorb building movements caused by trains moving underneath or by high winds.
The Multi-Link-Panel NF when fitted with any of the polycarbonate options we offer conforms to the Health & Safety Executive's recommendations for the use of non-fragile roofing, achieving a B classification in their drop test, ACR[M]001:2019, ‘Test for Non-Fragility of Profiled Sheeting Roofing Assemblies’.
Passing this drop tests gives real peace of mind when specifying Multi-Link-Panels NF. This is particularly important where an embankment and/or existing building design provides a possible tempting access point onto a glazed roof.
Georgian Wired Polycarbonate
One of the most popular polycarbonate variants available is a 6mm solid sheet that combines the appearance of Georgian wired glass with all the material benefits of polycarbonate. Installed at traditional 600mm centres this Georgian wired effect polycarbonate helps satisfy the Heritage requirements at many older stations. The use of solid polycarbonate glazing also fits in well with today’s need for future proofing as this product is virtually unbreakable, requires little maintenance, and has a long life span. When pre-glazed into our factory-assembled rooflight, the Twinfix Multi-Link-Panel NF, it meets the HSE’s recommendation for Non-Fragile roofing assemblies.
In-Line Access Hatch
With safety very much in mind another innovation to Multi-Link-Panel NF is the manually removable Twinfix in-line access hatch.
This was developed in response to a request from Network Rail. It fits discreetly into the Multi-Link-Panel enabling staff to safely carry out gutter cleaning without having to gain any access above the glazing. Historically many station canopies had no walkway installed over their glazing and it is not often possible to gain approval for one to be post-fitted as part of a refurbishment project. The Twinfix hatch solves this problem.
It was designed to be unobtrusive, using solid polycarbonate glazing fitted with polycarbonate handles and with as small a sightline as possible where the hatch meets the standard Multi-Link-Panel. Fitted adjacent to the gutter at the base of a Multi-Link-Panel, the Twinfix hatch is removed by simply undoing four thumb screws – no special tools are required. The hatch then lifts out and is easily replaced once cleaning is completed.
The Twinfix In-Line Access Hatch has been tested to the ACR[M]001:2019 test and passes with a ‘B’ designation.
- Long lifecycle - Polycarbonate is virtually unbreakable and will eliminate the maintenance costs involved in replacing broken glass. Polycarbonate is UV coated on both sides.
- Twinfix Non Fragile Multi-Link-Panels conform to the HSE recommended test method ACR[M]001:2019 (as outlined in document HSG33) and achieve a ‘B’ Classification.
- Our Multi-Link-Panels are pre-assembled in our factory ensuring strict quality guidelines are adhered to which cannot always be guaranteed when roofing products are assembled on site.
- In Line Access Hatch, to allow cleaning of gutters and roof – manufactured as part of our Multi-Link-Panel these hatches are hardly visible and allow safe access through the glazing without needing to get on the roof.
- Our Georgian Wired Polycarbonate has been used at many listed stations throughout the UK. It looks the same as Georgian wired glass, but it won’t break.
- The Multi-Link-Panel is light in weight and due to its modular format, it is very quick to install – very good for short rail possession works.
HSE Drop Tests
Please see below the results of the HSE drop tests carried out on a range of relevant products.
- 6mm solid polycarbonate glazed in the Twinfix Multi-Link-Panel NF - passes the test with a B classification and can therefore be designated as 'non fragile'
- 16mm multiwall polycarbonate glazed in the Twinfix Multi-Link-Panel NF - also passes the test with a B classification and achieves the 'non-fragile' designation
- 25mm multiwall polycarbonate glazed in the Twinfix Multi-Link-Panel NF - also passes the test with a B classification and achieves the 'non-fragile' designation
- 16mm multiwall polycarbonate glazed into a 60mm wide glazing bar - fails the test and is therefore designated as 'fragile'. This video shows why the HSE say that the test is to be carried out on 'roofing assemblies' and not on individual components: it is the patented system within the Twinfix Multi-Link-Panel NF that enables it to achieve the B classification and 'non fragile' designation.
- 6.4mm laminated glass glazed with standard glazing bars - fails the test and is therefore designated as 'fragile'
- 6.8mm laminated glass glazed into standard glazing bars - fails the test and is therefore designated as 'fragile'
Twinfix Multi-Click is a multiwall glazing panel system that simple clicks together within a thermally broken aluminium frame. This is a great product for any vertical application where you need light but not visibility, such as plant room glazing or high level depot glazing.
We also provide other types of polycarbonate systems for use in vertical glazing applications and will be very glad to discuss these with you.
Twinfix are happy to work with the installing contractor, making JIT deliveries to the station or depot to suit the working schedule.
Twinfix are a registered supplier on Link-Up.
Help & Advice
If you have a project in mind or would like help or advice on any of our products or services, please either ring us on 01925 811311, email us at email@example.com or get in touch via the enquiry form on our Contact Us page.